Sometimes the rainmakers can be the most difficult to manage.
So, what can leaders do to bring out the best in the people they manage while continuing to grow and at the same time minimize the negative impact on their team?
Profiles International conducted a study which involved over 700 participants and uncovered some interesting findings:
- More than half surveyed claimed 25% of high performers in their organization were difficult to work with
- Sales and Operations were identified as the departments with the highest numbers of difficult high performers
- A shocking 49% of managers could not identify what makes a high performers successful
- 68% of managers did not understand why ‘difficult’ high performers behave the way they do
- 78% of managers did not know how to manage these employees effectively
The majority of managers surveyed claimed, they do not use employee assessments to work with difficult employees. These tools can be very useful in identifying not only high performers, but also how well the person will fit the job and most importantly challenging employees.
For all you managers out there dealing with difficult personalities here are 8 simple tips:
- Have a one-on-one conversation with the employee in private
- Consult with other managers and your boss
- Provide the employee with outside training
- Make yourself available to the employee for additional training
- Be sure to outline clear guidelines of conduct for the employee
- Have a discussion about the issue at a meeting with the employees involved
- Schedule a formal employee review, even if one is not due
- Request that the employee to submit reports about how he or she is seeking to change their behavior
If the person’s behavior goes too far, and they remain employed, it could seriously damage staff morale. Remember one person could badly affect the remaining ‘well-behaved’ employees. These employees are the backbone of your company!
Whatever your business challenge is, we can help you starting today.
Simply click the link below to schedule your free 30 minute, no obligation, phone consultation. We’ll focus on your #1 challenge, and at the end of the call we’ll give you at least one practical strategy so that you can move forward immediately.
Schedule your free 30 minute
business assessment session today!
Or you can follow the link and our business experts can provide a Complimentary Business Evaluation for your business.
Start increasing your bottom line today.